The Soldier is probably the weakest and the least important class in a Highlander team; the presence of classes which are not run in 6v6 that can deny the Soldier very easily causes the Soldier's job to be limited to distracting and roaming, trying to pick off important targets.
The Soldier's role is quite similar to the 6v6 roamer, concentrated on distracting the enemy team and bombing the enemy in order to kill an important target. Additionally, along with the Scout, the Soldier's job is to watch the flanks and stop any flanking efforts by the enemy Scout or Soldier.
Sometimes, the Soldier will be sent in to suicide on the enemy team, aiming to achieve a particular objective; killing one of the combo classes or forcing the enemy Uber.
Other responsibilities of the Soldier include destroying minisentries on King of the Hill maps and utilizing hiding spots to surprise an unsuspecting enemy.
It is very rare that a Soldier will use the stock loadout; there are many options that are considered superior.
- Direct Hit - Utilized particularly on Payload and Attack/Defend maps. Thanks to the increased damage, the Direct Hit excels at taking down Level 3 sentries.
- Black Box - Popularized by vhalin of The Syndicate, the Black Box is a weapon used primarily to increase the Soldier's survivability with the +20 health on hit benefit, which allows him to distract the enemy team more than with the other launchers. It has a diminished bombing capability, as only two rockets can be used on a Medic after jumping.
- Buff Banner - Used by Soldiers with high survivability, the Buff Banner allows the player to maximize his and his team's damage output, granting him and his teammates a 10-second minicrit boost.
- Gunboats - The Gunboats reduce the rocket jumping self-damage, increasing his chances to get a pick by bombing.
- Concheror - Grants passive health regeneration and a deployable buff that increases movement speed around the soldier and returns damage dealt as health. Good for holding areas and works well with coordinated pushes.
- Escape Plan - Used by 6v6 Soldiers, the Escape Plan increases the possibility of surviving while low on health by giving the player a speed boost.
- Pain Train - Sometimes used by Soldiers to aid their team with the Pain Train's doubled capture speed.
- Disciplinary Action - Often used on longer maps without setup time, to help the slower classes get to the front lines in the shortest time possible.